“You can treat your heating and air conditioning system [. . .] you can treat your drinking water. This should not happen, so that’s what this case is about.”
(via Local Memphis): A Florida woman, who contracted Legionnaires Disease in Memphis, has filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court.
51-year old Marlene Casas from Orlando says she came down with Legionnaires after her stay at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Memphis Airport this summer.
The illness, a rare form of pneumonia, is caused from bacteria in fresh water in places like hot tubs and air conditioning units. Among the claims in the seven-page lawsuit filed is a “failure to remove and or repair a dangerous condition from the hotel” and a “failure to enact and enforce policies and procedures to keep the hotel in a reasonable and safe condition.”
‘You can treat your heating and air conditioning system in such a manner as to prevent this, you can sterilize your spa, your steam room that sort of thing, you can treat your drinking water. This should not happen, so that’s what this case is about,” says attorney Sadler Bailey.
The Shelby County Health Department confirmed eight cases of Legionnaires this past summer.
This is the second outbreak of Legionnaires Disease in Shelby County in the past three years. The previous case involved 24-Hour Fitness.
Click here to read the full article on Local Memphis.